I really wish I could stop posting these links. I truly do. But it seems as though #GamerGate (which I’ve written about in more detail here and here) is really enjoying this particular iteration of the Game of Trolling. You can see the same strategies playing out in comment threads
So far as I can tell, the dominant trolling strategy associated with #GamerGate looks like this:
1) Set up a coordinated attack on a female game developer or journalist in an anonymous venue like 4chan or 8chan.
2) Carry out the attack (including publishing their home address and information about their family, sending rape and death threats, etc) and wait for the gaming media to start covering this latest instance of harassment.*
3) Protest that the coverage is biased because it paints all of #GamerGate (which PURPORTS to be about ethics in journalism) with a broad brush as racists and misogynists. Declare that this coverage proves the necessity of #GamerGate’s existence. Ignore the content of the story, which is about people who operate under the #GamerGate banner tweeting things like this to a female game developer
4) Demand that those who respond with anger to the prevalence of threats like these being directed towards women in the gaming community be “more civil” when discussing the issue. Accuse same angry commenters of being too emotional to properly discuss the issue.
In other words:
* I was very tempted to use the word “psychological terrorism” here. The hatred of “social justice warriors” and of feminism that many of these #GamerGate people profess makes it quite tempting.